We want everyone to heal and recover. Village Yoga offers a weekly Donation Recovery Yoga Class every Friday from 6:30 – 8pm.
From March 2015 to March 2016, the Women’s House of Turning Point Recovery Center in Pontiac were the recipients of the combination of Auricular Acupuncture + Yoga Nidra, with outstanding results – see below.
We would be honored to share this modality in any setting of your choice or in our studio.
Contact us for more information.
All individuals will be most comfortable with a yoga mat, pillow and light blanket.
To bring calm and cohesion to the group, we begin with a “Gratitude Circle”, going around sharing:
• Inhale – Positive Affirmation
• Exhale – Letting Go of a Negative Current Issue
• One thing we are Grateful for
The leader “Clears the Space” after each share:
“Bring the hands in front of the heart, Anjali Mudra, and take a long inhale. As we exhale together, send some Metta, Loving Kindness, to ______”.
The acupuncture needles are inserted in a calm and quiet manner during the circle.
Yoga Nidra begins once the circle is complete and all of the needles are inserted. Everyone is asked to either lie down (preferred) or in the event of a medical condition, they may they remain seated in a chair.
Yoga Nidra lasts between 30 – 40 minutes. According to research, this amount of time equates to 3 – 4 hours of deep, restful sleep.
Yoga Journal – Discover the Peaceful Practice of Yoga Nidra
A proven antidote to anxiety, yoga nidra has been adopted by veterans, recovering addicts, and average stressed-out people.
Wikipedia – Yoga Nidra
The treatment takes between 30 – 45 minutes. Once everyone is comfortably settled in their seats, everyone is given an alcohol pad to clean the outer ear (no need to remove earrings).
Five fine gauge, sterilized, one-time use stainless steel needles are placed just under the skin in each ear.
1. Shen Men (“Spirit Gate”) – Calms the mind, helps with sleep, nervous tension, lowers blood pressure.
2. Sympathetic – Strong Pain Killing Action, eliminates “the sweats”, Reduces abdominal pain.
3. Kidney – Improves willpower, calms fear, reduces back pain, aids digestion. Liver – Lifts depression, strengthens digestion, Improves blood circulation, helps with aches and pains.
4. & 5. Lungs – Controls breathing, clears up acne, eliminates diarrhea, allows the mind to “let go”.
It is perfectly normal for a needle to fall out as is falling asleep – go with it. Once the needles are placed, just sit back, listen to the sounds, relax and enjoy the sensations.
National Acupuncture Detoxification Association encourages community wellness through the use of a standardized auricular acupuncture protocol for behavioral health, including addictions, mental health, and disaster & emotional trauma.
Starting in 1974, using the diagnostic tools of experience and trial & error, the staff and other professionals associated with the South Bronx’s Lincoln Recovery Center spent 10 years developing the basic five ear-points NADA protocol for the treatment of addiction. They determined a need for a national-level organization to expand training capacity and awareness of the value of acupuncture as a tool of recovery.
Incorporated in 1985 in the state of New York, the National Acupuncture Detoxification Association has helped spread acu-detox far and wide, nationally and internationally.
NADA was established to enroll members, establish a collection of related reference materials, codify a training curriculum and develop a flexible system for registering qualified trainers and delivering trainings. NADA has since trained more than 10,000 health professionals, including counselors, social workers, nurses, medical doctors, psychologists, acupuncturists, chiropractors, outreach workers, drug court judges, corrections officers and others to use the protocol.
Patients in all types of treatment settings including inpatient, outpatient, incarcerated, shelters, harm reduction and street outreach can utilize this treatment
The procedure functions as an adjunct to a comprehensive addiction treatment program offering the basic therapeutic elements:
- Family involvement
- Mutual support group involvement
- Supportive health care of a general nature
Among the benefits reported by patients and clinicians are:
- Improved program retention
- More optimistic and cooperative attitude toward the process of recovery
- Reductions in cravings, anxiety, sleep disturbance and need for pharmaceuticals
- A strong calming effects
The combination of Yoga Nidra + Auricular Acupuncture has been proven in treatment settings to:
- Relieve Anxiety
- Stress & Tension
- Markedly Reduce Fears
- Alleviate Physical & Emotional Trauma
- Improve Self-Awareness & Self-Worth
- Create Group Cohesion
Turning Point Recovery Centers
May 1, 2016 – June 30, 2016
The effectiveness of acupuncture treatment for residential clients was evaluated using the Beck Anxiety Index for the time frame May 1, 2016 – June 30, 2016.
- The clients were administered the BAI at sessions 1 and 3 of the acupuncture series. Based on the data collected during the acupuncture series it was found that the percentage of clients reporting “no anxiety” increased 80%, those reporting “mild anxiety” decreased 10%, those reporting “moderate anxiety” decreased 59%, and those reporting “severe anxiety” decreased 54.5% (see table 1).
Table 1. 21 symptoms of anxiety were measured. Clients rated these symptoms by the four categories below. N=6
|“Not at All”||35%||63%||+28 Points|
The average score on the Beck Anxiety Inventory decreased from 26.3 to 13.08 (47.5%). Overall acupuncture outcomes were positive as anxiety levels decreased for participating clients.