From March 2015 to March 2016, the inpatient clients at Women’s House of Turning Point Recovery Center in Pontiac, were the recipients of the combination of Yoga Nidra + Auricular Acupuncture with outstanding results – see below.
We would be honored to share this modality in any setting of your choice or in our studio.
Contact us for more information.
The combination of Yoga Nidra + Auricular Acupuncture has been proven in treatment settings to:
- Relieve Anxiety
- Stress & Tension
- Markedly Reduce Fears
- Alleviate Physical & Emotional Trauma
- Improve Self-Awareness & Self-Worth
- Create Group Cohesion
Turning Point Recovery Centers
May 1, 2016 – June 30, 2016
The effectiveness of acupuncture treatment for residential clients was evaluated using the Beck Anxiety Index for the time frame May 1, 2016 – June 30, 2016.
- The clients were administered the BAI at sessions 1 and 3 of the acupuncture series. Based on the data collected during the acupuncture series it was found that the percentage of clients reporting “no anxiety” increased 80%, those reporting “mild anxiety” decreased 10%, those reporting “moderate anxiety” decreased 59%, and those reporting “severe anxiety” decreased 54.5% (see table 1).
Table 1. 21 symptoms of anxiety were measured. Clients rated these symptoms by the four categories below. N=6
|“Not at All”||35%||63%||+28 Points|
The average score on the Beck Anxiety Inventory decreased from 26.3 to 13.08 (47.5%). Overall acupuncture outcomes were positive as anxiety levels decreased for participating clients.
Yoga Nidra, also known as Yogic Sleep, Deep Sleep,
is beneficial for everyone, but especially for those individuals suffering from any type of temporary or chronic illness – i.e., Cancer, Diabetes, MS, Addiction, ADD, Back Pain and the like.
“This ancient science uses specific techniques to expand awareness in all states of consciousness and to stay in the present moment. Negative patterns, or samskaras, are being released as we tap into our natural, restful wisdom. We then create new sensations that are pleasant.” – Suzanne Manafort
Participants are most comfortable with a yoga mat, pillow, eye-pillow and light blanket. Those with a medical condition may sit upright against a wall.
To bring calm and cohesion to the group, we begin with a “Gratitude Circle”, sharing via:
- Inhale – Positive Affirmation
- Exhale – Letting Go of a Negative Current Issue
- One thing we are Grateful for
The leader “Clears the Space” after each share:
“Bring the hands in front of the heart, Anjali Mudra, and take a long inhale. As we exhale together, send some Metta, Loving Kindness, to ______”.
The acupuncture needles are inserted in a calm and quiet manner during the circle.
Yoga Nidra begins once the sharing circle is complete and all the needles are inserted.
Yoga Nidra lasts between 30 – 40 minutes.
According to research, this amount of time equates to 3 – 4 hours of deep, restful sleep.
Yoga Journal – Discover the Peaceful Practice of Yoga Nidra
A proven antidote to anxiety, yoga nidra has been adopted by veterans, recovering addicts, and average stressed-out people.
Wikipedia – Yoga Nidra
The treatment takes between 30 – 45 minutes. Once everyone is comfortably settled in their seats, everyone is given an alcohol pad to clean the outer ear (no need to remove earrings).
Five fine gauge, sterilized, one-time use stainless steel needles are placed just under the skin in each ear.
1. Shen Men (“Spirit Gate”) – Calms the mind, helps with sleep, nervous tension, lowers blood pressure.
2. Sympathetic – Strong Pain Killing Action, eliminates “the sweats”, Reduces abdominal pain.
3. Kidney – Improves willpower, calms fear, reduces back pain, aids digestion. Liver – Lifts depression, strengthens digestion, Improves blood circulation, helps with aches and pains.
4. & 5. Lungs – Controls breathing, clears up acne, eliminates diarrhea, allows the mind to “let go”.
It is perfectly normal for a needle to fall out as is falling asleep – go with it. Once the needles are placed, just sit back, listen to the sounds, relax and enjoy the sensations.